Friday, January 14, 2011

Chicken Noodle Soup

When I make soups I really don't follow a recipe.  I just create as I go.  Jim tells me that I really need to write down what I do with the Soups so the one time that it is better than the last, I will know what I did to make it better.  Well, I tried to write a recipe for what I do with the Chicken Noodle Soup.  I decided I would just tell you how I make it with "some" measurements.

3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
3-4 medium potatos
4 carrots
1 stick of celery
2-3 TBLS chicken granules
1 TBLS grated (dehydrated) onion
1 TBLS dried parsley flakes
4 large handfuls of (long) egg nooodles
2 cans chicken broth

I start by baking the chicken with a little salt and pepper for 1 hour at 350 degrees.  Peel and cut up potatos and carrots.  Cut up celery.  Place potatos, carrots, celery in soup pan.  Cover the veggies with water so that there is atleast 1" clearing the top of the veggies.  Bring to a boil.  Add chicken granules, onion, and parsley.  Boil till veggies are done.  In a separate pan I boil the noodles using about 8 cups of water (or enough to cover the noodles by 2"). When veggies and noodles are done I pour the noodles with their water into the veggie pot.  Dice up the baked chicken and add to the veggie pot.  If I need more liquid I add the chicken broth.  I then taste the soup broth to see if it has enough chicken flavor.  If it doesn't then I add more chicken granules.  I season with a little salt and pepper.  The kids don't like the pepper so Jim and I add it to our own bowl when we eat.  The main key is tasting the broth to see if it has enough chicken flavor.
I boil the noodles seperate because the veggies and noodles cook for different times and I forget to through the noodles in with the veggies at the right time.  Anyway, that's how I do it and I quite like my soup, so I thought I would share.

**To make home made egg noodles click HERE!

2 comments:

Sandra said...

Hey did you know Lynn Weber? She used to be in the ward but I never know if people were here when others were if you know what I mean? Anyway she gave me a recipe for Chicken Soup that also added cream of chicken soup and sour cream. It makes is smooth and creamy, very yummy. Thats the only way I make it now. I also add a bit of basil to mine. Ahh soup sounds good right now :)

Kristi Rowley said...

Yes, Sandra I remeber Lynn. I have had Creamy Chicken Noodle. My personal choice is without the creamy stuff. I have added basil to it in the past too. I usually go through the spice cupboard and read the labels and if it says that it would be good in certain soups, then I add it to that certain soup.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Top 5 Most Viewed