Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Sweet Heat Louisiana Chili


Recipe taken from My Kitchen Cafe
1 medium onion, diced
1 large green bell pepper, diced
3 stalks of celery, diced
3 cloves of garlic, smashed or diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound of ground meat (I used ground beef)
1 quart of meat stock (I used beef but Brad and Cass used 1/2 chicken stock and 1/2 beef stock)
2 large cans (28 oz. each) of whole stewed tomatoes
1 can of kidney red beans
1 can of black beans
2 cups sun-dried tomatoes
3 bay leaves
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp cayenne pepper
3 tsp creole or cajun seasoning blend
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
salt to taste
Over medium heat, saute first four ingredients (onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic) in 1 tbsp
of oil. Once the onions begin to sweat, add your choice of ground meat. Brown to perfection.
When the meat is cooked, add the stock, bay leaves, dry mustard and cayenne. Simmer over
medium heat, stirring occasionally, until reduced by half. Rehydrate the sun-dried tomatoes and
dice. Puree the stewed tomatoes in a food processor or blender. Add to pot. Rinse the canned
beans in plenty of water, add to the pot along with brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, salt and the
cajun or creole seasoning. Mix well and simmer over low heat for two hours, stirring
occasionally. Take off heat and allow to stand covered for five minutes. Serve and enjoy.

A few weeks ago we had our ward Fall Social.  They do a chili contest every year.  I had been craving some chili for a few weeks so I decided that I would make some for the social.  Jim wanted a "Spicy" hot chili.  This recipe definately was SPICY!  Jim and I really enjoyed it, but kids probably won't like it.  It was really good as leftovers after sitting for a day and letting the spices blend.  Also, check out the comments for this recipe at My Kitchen Cafe for more tips on this recipe.  Thanks for sharing your recipes, Kitchen Cafe!

1 comments:

Jessica said...

So this is really funny, My Kitchen Cafe is one of my friends blogs. She is an amazing cook! I didn't know that you followed her blog. She used to live next to me but recently moved. I love all her recipes..I have quite a few of hers if you are interested. What a small world!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Top 5 Most Viewed