Monday, November 8, 2010

Cinnamon Rolls


This recipe came from Jim's mom...Connie.
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs
2 1/2 cups of very warm tap water
1 tsp salt
2 tbls yeast (I use SAF yeast)
7 + cups flour

In kitchen mixer, mix together shortening, sugar, and eggs.  While they are mixing add water, salt and yeast.  Then add flour starting with the first 4 cups then adding 1 cup at a time while it mixes.  After all flour is added let the dough mix for 5 minutes.  If still really sticky add more flour just a little at a time til the dough doesn't stick to the bowl.  Then stop the mixer and let the dough rise til it is double in size.  Remove dough and roll out on a floured surface.  Roll dough about 1" thick.  I roll it more in a rectangle shape shape.  When done rolling generously spread some very softened margarine/butter over dough.  Then very generously sprinkle brown sugar over the dough followed by a dusting of cinnamon.  You can also add raisins, nuts, chocolate chips, or whatever you like at this time...just sprinkle them on!  Starting with a long edge of the "rectangle" shape dough, roll it into a log.  Pinch the seam closed.  Using thread or waxed floss cut the rolls by placing thread under the end of the log about 1 1/2".  Bring thread up around the top crossing over and pull...slicing a roll off the end.  Place rolls on a well greased baking sheet.  (I end up with a different amount every time.  It is usually 1 and 1/2 of another cookie sheet.)  Let rolls rise until almost double....they rise alot more in the oven.  Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until light golden brown on top.  Frost with powder sugar frosting or cream cheese frosting.  I prefer Cream Cheese Frosting but I am usually making these for the family and Jim likes the Powder Sugar Frosting.

*Powder Sugar Frosting
I never measure.  I really need to start so I can share what I do.  So, here is a description of what I do to make powder sugar frosting.
I start with about 2 tbls margarine.  I add 1/8 to 1/4 cup milk.  I put them in the microwave til the margarine is melted.  Then I add a tsp of vanilla and a couple shakes of the salt shaker.  Then I start adding powder sugar.  I mix with the electric mixer and keep adding powder sugar til it is the consistency that I want.  If I get it too thick then I just add more milk...a few drops at a time.

*Cream Cheese Frosting
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a medium bowl, cream together the cream cheese and butter until creamy.  Mix in the vanilla, then gradually stir in the powdered sugar.  Mix til smooth.
 

2 comments:

Lacy@uphillandsmiling said...

oh my, those look HEAVENLY! :) This is THE first blog that Zeke looked over my shoulder and said, "Whoa! What's this?" and he had to scroll through all the recipes and put in his order :) ha ha ha, thanks for the new ideas, I feel like I always fix the same thing.

Jessica said...

I'm with you on the cream cheese frosting. Everything is better with it!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Top 5 Most Viewed