Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Homemade Wheat Bread

A few months ago we had a Relief Society meeting and was shown how to make this yummy bread.  With permission from my friend, I am sharing her Homemade Wheat Bread with you!

3 cups hot water
2 cups applesauce
1/2 cup sugar
3 rounded Tbsp SAF instant yeast
1 Tbsp salt
1/2 cup heaping vital wheat gluten
5 Tbsp liquid lecithin (1 Tbsp=Quarter sized amount)
11 cups wheat/oat flour (about 8 cups wheat and 1 cup oats ground)

Place water, applesauce, sugar and yeast in mixer.  Mix a little to allow yeast to mix and grow.  It will start to foam a little after it sits for just a few minutes.  Add salt, gluten, and lecithin.  Begin adding flour one cup at a time.  Allow each cup of flour to mix in thoroughly before adding another.  Let dough mix till it doesn't cling to sides of mixing bowl.  Dough will be slightly sticky to the touch.  Let rise in mixing bowl until double in size.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray pans with cooking spray.  Punch dough down and divide into 4 equal parts.  Shape dough into loaves and place in pans.  Cover with a towel and allow to rise until slightly above the pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.  Remove from pans, butter top and enjoy!

*I found the Vital Wheat Gluten at Winco in Reno.  Alison's Pantry also sells it (http://www.alisonspantry.com/).
I found Liquid Lecithin at a health food store here in Carson City.  It can also be found at http://www.pantrysecrets.com/.


** This Bread is So Yummy!  It is good fresh and stays good for several days.  I love having it as toast with honey.  I don't have a wheat grinder, but wanted to try this bread.  A friend ground the wheat for me.  I decided if the family liked the bread and would eat it, I would look into getting a grinder.  Well, my grinder should be coming in the next couple of weeks!  I am so excited.  Thanks Danielle for sharing this recipe!

1 comments:

Pedey @ Do You Smell That!!? said...

Hey lady! You left out the part where you put it in the oven! How long does it cook for? And you're right - this is easily the most delicious homemade wheat bread I've ever tasted!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Top 5 Most Viewed