Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Sloppy Jo's (Mom's Version)

 

2 lbs hamburger
1/2 small onion diced up
salt and pepper
3 cans (8 oz each) tomato sauce
1 packet sloppy jo seasoning
1 can (10 3/4 oz) chicken gumbo soup
1/4 cup instant rice

Brown hamburger with onion and season with salt and pepper.  Drain any excess grease off hamburger.  Add tomato sauce, sloppy jo seasoning,  and gumbo soup to hamburger.  Mix together and bring to a simmer.  Add rice, cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes stirring occasionally.  Sample the rice to make sure it is done.  If sloppy jo's are too runny still, add some more rice about a Tbsp at a time then let the rice cook through.  If it is too dry, add a little water or some more tomato sauce, just a little at a time to get it the consistency you like.  Serve in a fresh bun, hard roll, or whatever bread you like.  I even like it just between two pieces of bread!  This recipe makes enough to feed my family of 6 along with enough leftovers to have them again.

THESE ARE MY FAVORITE!  My kids always request GRANDMA NORMAN'S SLOPPY JO'S.  They even ask if she can make them because hers tastes better than mine.  I do agree with them.  The rice is mainly to soak up the juices.  I add enough tomato sauce so I can add rice too.  I love the rice in the Sloppy Jo. 

And yes, I spell it JO and not JOE...just because of my name.  I think I was named after Sloppy Jo's!  Yes, I Love my Mom's Sloppy Jo's that much!  My middle name is JO!

**MOM, if I missed something in the recipe, please add too it!

2 comments:

Sandra said...

I didn't even know there was a soup called chicken gumbo...guess you learn something new everyday :)

Jessica said...

I use chicken gumbo in my sloppy jo's too. I love it. Thanks for the new recipe!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Top 5 Most Viewed